Psoriasis is a non-contagious skin disease that causes rapid skin cell reproduction resulting in red, dry patches of thickened skin, dry flakes and skin scales are thought to result from the rapid buildup of skin cells. Psoriasis commonly affects the skin of the elbows, knees, and scalp. . Heredity factor is also important , if a parent is suffering then there are 15% of chances that problem can carry forward and if both parents suffers than chances can be 50%. Medicines which are mostly prescribed by dermatologists sometimes can cause side effects in treatment of psoriasis
Some major symptoms may include:
Loose silvery scales.
Itching or burning skin.
Raised pus-filled skin bumps.
Skin redness around pustules.
Restricted joint motion.
Skin pain and inflammation.
Dry skin patches.
Bleeding skin patches.
Every person has a distinct energy pattern made of three types of energies. These energies are known as doshas, and include:
- vata energy, which controls bodily functions.
- pitta energy, which controls metabolic functions.
- kapha energy, which controls growth in the body.
Ayurvedic view on psoriasis:
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis occurs due to imbalance of two doshas – Vata and Kapha . These both manifest in the skin and cause accumulation of toxins, which accumulate in deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta (blood), mansa (muscles), and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, and cause Psoriasis. Ayurveda is an ancient, holistic form of treatment. Originated in northern India , Ayurveda is based on the premise that good health depends on a healthy body, mind, and spirit. With ayurvedic medicines we can manage your symptoms and if treated for few months one can overcome its symptoms.
Panchakarma is detox treatment and is used for treating psoriasis , treatments use plant-based remedies and dietary change.
The Panchakarma treatments include:
- consuming medicated ghee, a form of clarified butter.
- purging and vomiting.
- dripping medicated buttermilk on a person’s head.
- covering the entire body in a paste of medicines and mud.
- medicated enemas.
Ayurvedic herbal remedies may also be used to treat psoriasis:
- black nightshade(makoi) juice to reduce inflammation .
- garlic and onions to purify the blood.
- jasmine flower paste to relieve itching and reduce inflammation.
- guggal to reduce inflammation.
- neem to boost the immune system and purify the blood.
- turmeric to reduce inflammation, redness, and swelling.
- boswellia to reduce inflammation and support the immune system.
In autoimmune diseases like psoriasis to work on immune level is very important . In ayurvedic system of medicine we use best ayurvedic formulations for treating this disease .